Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Another Name Crush

Its 13 weeks to go! And we thought it was about time to stop making the decision harder for ourselves by continuously adding names to our lists and sit down and nut out our top 10 girls and boys.

I don't know if you have ever tried to choose you favourite name in the world out of I don't a Billion. Its harder than you might think - but we did it. It took the better part of our Sunday but we did it. We now have a top 10 (well 11 for girls) and I think we might be a the right track - no more names that are unusable (like September with Edward for example) and no more names we can't both agree on.

All was well until we turned on the TV. Some renovation competition was on. Just as well we couldn't find the remote (we are so sick of renovations) because one of the judges names caught our attention.

Isn't it a lovely name! It is a variant of Sybil which I'm not too keen on for my own use but don't mind at all. It means 'prophetess, oracle' and is from Greek origins.

What do you think?
Is it worth it spending hours convincing Nathan to get her on the list?
Or do you think that perhaps she is middle name material?
I would LOVE to know.

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

I like Sibella, especially seeing it written, but somehow it doesn't quite sound right . . . like "salmonella" or something . . . I don't know what it is, but I don't quite love the sound of it. Maybe as a middle name though.

Dear Europe said...

I like Sibella. Its pretty, but when said out loud, it just sounds like someone mispronouncing Isabella. Since Isabella is so popular, this might cause a lot of confusion with people constantly mishearing her name as Isabella vs Sibella. I much prefer Sibyl, which is a cool name that you do not see too often.

Anna said...

I really like Sibella, Antonia Kidman has a daughter called this I think?

Unknown said...

i like sibelle or sybelle better

Anonymous said...

Laura I do believe that would be Sybil.

I don't know about you but for me it might be a bit too soon for a Sybil revival. She might look a little odd on the class role.

Emma, Isabella, Emily, Madison, Ava, Olivia, Sophia, Abigail, Elizabeth, Chloe and Sybil?!?!

Sibella might be the only one she'll ever meet but is bound to fit in with her peers that have pretty and gentle names.

Laura said...

(Laura NFATE)
Sybil is very Harry Potter for me. Its the sort of name I would imagine if I was a writer I may name a witch. Sibella however is almost tropical to me, it has a pretty sound to it, I'm hoping you do convince Nathan!