Monday, June 29, 2009

Girls Names of the Roaring 20's!


You know how you keep seeing flapper dresses in the shops now? Well they're coming back! And guess what. Baby Names from the 20s are too. They have been for a while and will undoubtely keep coming back.
Need Proof?

Olive is back in the top 1000. Julia Roberts named her starbaby Hazel and SJP just had Marion Loretta. And speaking of starbabies lets not forget about the growing popularity of Violet. Rose has become a staple middle name next to Grace who has also hit the popularity stakes for first names. Lillian and Evelyn are now American favourites with their fellow top 100 members Audrey and Charlotte. And Ruby is close on their tails sitting just outside the top 100.

All of these names are 1920's favourites.

Though you may be a little too late to use these if your are looking to stand out of the crowd we have plenty of other 20s favourites for you to choose from that are equally dazzling and are destined for a comeback. As a sucker for vintage names (I did name my son Edward) Ithem (just perhaps not Fannie, Dorcas or Fairy). My faves are the red.

Agnes
Barbara
Beatrice
Belinda*
Bess
Betsy
Betty
Billie
Clementine
Delores
Donna
Dorothea**
Dorothy
Eleanor
Eulalia
Flora
Florence
Gwendolyn
Harriet
Helen
Henrietta
Louise
Lucy
Mabel
Margaret
Mary
Maudie
Mavis
Mildred
Millicent
Minnie
Nancy
Opal
Pansy
Regina
Roberta
Rosemary
Thelma
Theodora**
Wilhelmina
Wilma
Winifred
*I love this with the darling little nickname Bindi
** It is my ULTIMATE fantasy to have twin girls called Dorothea and Theodora!

4 comments:

Laura said...

I know a family and they were Lucy. Charlotte and Harriet- obviously a fan of flapper names.

I love Rosemary, Bess and Flora

Tayler said...

I recently went through the SSA list for 1880, and I saw many of these names on there. I used to hate the old-fashioned names, but now I love them. Visit my blog too!

http://taytaysnames.blogspot.com/

Tara said...

My favourites are Mabel, Mildred and Eleanor. Wonderful names indeed, great list!
Tara

Charlotte Vera said...

"I know a family and they were Lucy. Charlotte and Harriet- obviously a fan of flapper names."

Those names also figure prominently in Austen's books from the Regency period. A great sibset -- of course, I'm biased since my name is Charlotte!